By Michael L. Cain, Carol Kaesuk Yoon, Anu Singh-Cundy
Discover Biology is helping scholars turn into biologically literate students—to growth from technological know-how to clinical literacy.
Written from the floor up for nonmajors, Discover Biology is the one introductory biology textbook to give continuously utilized beneficial properties in every one bankruptcy that not just exhibit biology’s daily relevance, yet train scholars find out how to circulation from easily knowing middle organic options to actively utilizing these techniques to our quickly altering world.
Read Online or Download Discover Biology (4th Edition) PDF
Best biology books
A suite of state of the art suggestions for detecting and quantifying apoptosis, knowing its biochemistry, and for settling on the genes and proteins that keep watch over and hold it out. defined in step by step element, those simply reproducible equipment diversity from movement cytometry and immunohistochemical strategies to kinase task assays, yeast two-hybrid screening, and the cloning of novel genes through differential expression.
With bankruptcy contributions from greater than 30 steel biology specialists, mobile and Molecular Biology of Metals explains the function of key divalent steel ions eager about the molecular and mobile biology of varied goal phone populations. even though it basically makes a speciality of homeostatic metals, similar to nickel, zinc, and chromium, the textual content additionally discusses a number of environmentally pertinent, poisonous divalent cations, together with mercury, cadmium, and arsenic.
The time period cytoskeleton has develop into firmly demonstrated in brand new clinical vocabulary. certainly, it truly is tough to think that purely ten years in the past, it used to be nearly non-existent. given that then, the fashionable box of study at the structural association of the cytoplasm has became probably the most efficient and swiftly increasing study components in mobile Biology this present day.
- Coulomb Screening by Mobile Charges: Applications to Materials Science, Chemistry, and Biology
- Bird Song: Biological Themes and Variations
- Prenatal Diagnosis
- Applied Cell and Molecular Biology for Engineers
- Current Protocols in Cell Biology
- Discovering biomolecular mechanisms with computational biology
Additional info for Discover Biology (4th Edition)
Because it is such a powerful way of understanding nature, science holds a central place in modern society. For scientists and nonscientists alike, knowing how nature works can be exciting and fulfilling. In addition, applications of scientific knowledge influence all aspects of modern life. Every time we take medicine, instant-message a friend, or run on a treadmill, we are enjoying the benefits of science. Few of us, however, have a good picture of how science works, how it generates knowledge, and what its powers and limitations are.
2. In everyday language, we use the word “theory” to mean an entirely unproved explanation. What do scientists mean when they say an idea is a theory? 3. 6°F. Which of the shared characteristics of living things does this phenomenon demonstrate? 4. Why is a virus considered nonliving? 11). The hierarchy has many levels of organization, ranging from molecules at the lowest level up to the entire biosphere at the highest level. In scale, the hierarchy ranges from one-millionth of a meter (the approximate length of a molecule) to 12 million meters (the diameter of Earth).
Humans and other mammals, for example, can reproduce by having sex, which allows a specialized reproductive cell in the male, called a sperm, to fertilize (join with) a female’s specialized reproductive cell, an egg; a certain amount of time later—9 months in humans—the female gives birth to young. Some plants reproduce using a form of sex in which their flowers exchange pollen (the equivalent of sperm), which fertilizes cells equivalent to eggs inside the flowers. The plants then produce seeds, which develop into young plants.
Discover Biology (4th Edition) by Michael L. Cain, Carol Kaesuk Yoon, Anu Singh-Cundy