By Martin M. Winkler
The essays accrued during this publication current the 1st entire appreciation of the autumn of the Roman Empire from historic, historiographical, and cinematic views. The ebook additionally offers the relevant classical assets at the interval. it's a spouse to Gladiator: movie and heritage (Blackwell, 2004) and Spartacus: movie and heritage (Blackwell, 2007) and completes a triad of scholarly stories on Hollywood’s maximum movies approximately Roman background.
- A serious re-examination of the 1964 epic movie the autumn of the Roman Empire, directed through Anthony Mann , from ancient, film-historical, and modern issues of view
- Presents a set of scholarly essays and classical assets at the interval of Roman historical past that historic and smooth historians have thought of to be the turning aspect towards the eventual fall of Rome
- Contains a brief essay through director Anthony Mann
- Includes a map of the Roman Empire and picture stills, in addition to translations of the primary old assets, an in depth bibliography, and a chronology of occasions
Read or Download The Fall of the Roman Empire: Film and History PDF
Similar film & television books
In 1938 Wittgenstein introduced a quick process lectures on aesthetics to a small team of scholars at Cambridge. the current quantity has been compiled from notes taken down on the time via 3 of the scholars: Rush Rhees, Yorick Smythies, and James Taylor. they've been supplemented via notes of conversations on Freud (to whom reference used to be made within the direction on aesthetics) among Wittgenstein and Rush Rhees, and via notes of a few lectures on non secular trust.
The Brussels World's reasonable used to be possibly an important propaganda occasion to be staged for ecu allies within the Eisenhower years; his management considered tradition as a weapon within the conflict opposed to communism. This booklet examines the serious function of movie within the info conflict waged opposed to the Soviets within the American pavilion on the reasonable.
Theo Angelopoulos is extensively considered as probably the most specific modern filmmakers and a hugely idiosyncratic movie stylist. His paintings, from the early Seventies to The Beekeeper, panorama within the Mist, The Suspended Step of the Stalk and the new Cannes prize-winner Ulysses' Gaze, demonstrates a special sensibility and a preoccupation with shape (notably, the lengthy take, area, and time) and with content material, quite Greek politics and background, and notions of the adventure, border-crossing, and exile.
Tune within the Western: Notes from the Frontier offers essays from either movie stories students and musicologists on middle matters in western movie ratings: their heritage, their common conventions, their operation as a part of a story procedure, their functioning inside of person filmic texts and their ideological import, specially by way of the western’s development of gender, sexuality, race and ethnicity.
- French cinema : a student's guide
- Saints and Avengers: British Adventure Series of the 1960s
- Considering Aaron Sorkin : essays on the politics, poetics, and sleight of hand in the films and television series
- Strategic Reinvention in Popular Culture: The Encore Impulse
Extra resources for The Fall of the Roman Empire: Film and History
Birley, Marcus Aurelius: A Biography, 2nd ed. (1987; rpt. London: Routledge, 2000), 224–225 and 289 (notes). 8 Joseph Brodsky, “Homage to Marcus Aurelius,” in Joseph Brodsky, On Grief and Reason: Essays (New York: Farrar Straus Giroux, 1995; rpt. 1997), 267–298; quotations at 289– 290 and 293. 6 Martin M. Winkler way to conduct a sacrifice. Lucas’s Obi-Wan Kenobi is usually dressed in a similar way. 9 O be one with Marcus, noble Jedi knight! The portrayal of the philosophical emperor as an ideal human and dedicated statesman in The Fall of the Roman Empire adds a memorable instance to these and similar tributes, readily comprehensible even to those unacquainted with ancient philosophy or history.
40 4. Epic Style: The Final Duel Since Homer’s Iliad, the earliest epic in Western literature, and Virgil’s Aeneid, the greatest and most influential Roman epic, stories about mythical or historical heroes have tended to end in the protagonist’s “showdown” with his enemy, the story’s climax. That of Livius and Commodus in The Fall of the Roman Empire illustrates how a scene required by plot convention can heighten our involvement to such a degree that the end itself becomes extremely poignant.
20. ). Samuel Bronston Productions. Publisher's Note: Permission to reproduce this image online was not granted by the copyright holder. Readers are kindly requested to refer to the printed version of this chapter. 21. Publicity shot of Stephen Boyd and Sophia Loren in one of the imperial palace sets. Photofest. Publisher's Note: Permission to reproduce this image online was not granted by the copyright holder. Readers are kindly requested to refer to the printed version of this chapter. 23. A statue of Roma, the divine personification of Rome, dominates the palatial hall in which Lucilla deposits her father’s Meditations and Commodus announces his New World Order.
The Fall of the Roman Empire: Film and History by Martin M. Winkler